Funds were raised over many years and finally with the support of the Parents’ Association the front lawns were levelled and the oval was constructed in 1931. Used for numerous sporting events, fetes, visits by Father Christmas, formation of a Coronation crown in 1953, the Annual Service and dedications, the oval was also used for air raid shelters during World War Two with the digging of trenches by the fathers of the students. Water tanks with a holding capacity of 260,000 litres are currently situated under the oval.

From mid 2020 building works for the new Sports and Wellbeing Centre are limiting access to the oval.